Students will be given challenging real world projects and assignments typical of the welding field. Classroom activities will include reading blueprints, projects, and problem solving. Major projects will be presented to the class in the shop. Students will often work in teams, but will be expected to complete individual assignments in relation to the team’s work. Assessment methods will include projects, quizzes, tests, and final exams.
After completing the course, the student will be able to perform the following tasks and competencies at the job entry level:
- Safety in the workplace
- Reading a ruler
- Employability skills training
- Welding theory and terminology
- AWS Certification work
- Tool usage and safety
- Review of Oxy-Fuel Fitting (OFC)
- Review of Plasma Arc Cutting (PAC)
- Review of Shielded metal arc welding (SMAW)
- Introduction to Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) – Steel, stainless steel, and aluminum
- Introduction to Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
The following will be performed on a quarterly basis:
- Make fillet welds in a horizontal (2G) position using E6010 electrodes
- Make fillet welds in the (2G), Vertical (3G) position using E7018 electrodes
Moniz, B. J. Welding Skills. 5th ed., American Technical Publishers, 2015.
- Pencil, pen, paper, workbook
- Welding helmet & welding gloves
- Wire Brush
- Chipping Hammer
- Shade 5 Burning Glasses
Semester 1 / 2
Quarter 1 / 3
Quarter 2 / 4
Exam 1 / 2
Class participation is awarded up to 20 points per day equaling up to 100 points per week. Unexcused absences, lack of active engagement in the classroom, and lack of preparedness for class may all adversely affect the weekly class participation grade.
A project or extended assignment may be given. Grading for projects will be distributed in the various categories listed. Different grading percentages may be provided to students with the original assignment.
Rowanty Technical Center Code of Honor is in effect at all times. See student handbook. Plagiarism or cheating of any sort is unacceptable. Any student found guilty of these offenses will be reported to administration immediately for disciplinary action.
Electronic Use Policy
Students must abide by the Rowanty Internet Safety and Acceptable Use policy, as outlined in the Student Handbook. Any violations of this policy will be reported immediately to the IT Department and/or Administration, and appropriate action will be taken.
NO CELL PHONES ARE TO BE OUT UNLESS IN THE CHARGING STATION!
Students are responsible for seeing the teacher the first school day upon return from an absence. The students MUST initiate this meeting. It is the student’s responsibility to get hoework assignments on days that are missed in class, either by contacting the teacher by email while absent or the school day on which he/she returns.
Failure to make-up work within five (5) school days or at a time determined within those five days by the teacher will result in the loss of a grade for the missed assignment. If a student is absent on the day of a test, the student will take the test the next class period he/she returns to class. The make-up test may be different from the original test.
If a student is present when an assignment is given but absent on the day it is due, he/she must turn it in the day he/she returns to school (NOT the day he/she comes to class but the DAY he/she returns to school). If a student is present for all material covered on a test and/or quiz and is absent the class immediately preceding the test and/or quiz, the student will be required to take the test and/or quiz, as scheduled if they are present.
Please note that if an assignment is due on a day where the student misses a class but is present at school for any portion of the day, that student is required to turn in the assignment. If the assignment is not turned in before the student leaves or when they arrive on such a day, then the assignment is either considered late or not turned in (which can be recorded as a missed assignment with a grade of zero).
Late Work Policy
It is the student’s responsibility to request makeup work for days missed. Students must make-up work within 5 days of each absence unless other arrangements have been made with the teacher. The teacher will determine time allotted for return of makeup work. The student shall be responsible for securing and furnishing all notes to the main office when he/she returns to school.
Exam Exemption Policy
- No student will be exempt from mid-term exams.
- There are no exam exemptions for 1st year programs. For one year, 2nd semester of cluster, and two year programs, students must have a minimum of 80/B (by the administrative cut-off date) and have passed their industry certification (does not include Workplace Readiness Skills) to receive an exam exemption for the end of the year.
- Attendance – If a student is absent for the exam on the date that it is given, the student will have to produce a legal note to administration to be able to take the exam.
- If the student is suspended on the date of the exam, the student will receive a 0/F for the exam, which is 20% of the student’s semester grade.
General Class Procedures
- Upon entering class, all class materials should be taken out. Students should be prepared for class immediately upon the ringing of the tardy bell. Social and excessive talking at this time is prohibited.
- Homework should be checked upon entering the class. Questions will be addressed at the ringing of the tardy bell.
- Permission should be granted before any student leaves their seat after the tardy bell rings.
- Notes should be taken during all lessons. Failure to do so will only hurt your understanding of the concept being taught.
General Shop Rules
- NO FOOD OR DRINK
- NO HORSE PLAY
- ALL ASSIGNMENTS HAVE A DUE DATE HAVE YOUR WORK IN ON TIME
- NO PHONE ARE TO BE OUT UNLESS IN THE CHARGING STATION (LOCKER ROOM)
- PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) WILL BE WORN AT ALL TIMES
General Class Rules
- BE PROMPT
- ON TIME FOR ALL CLASSES
- ON TIME FOR ALL ASSIGNMENTS
- BE COURTEOUS
- DON’T LIE
- DON’T CHEAT
- DON’T STEAL
- ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST